1

A Reflection…

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 7.34.24 pm

Term one complete.. Minus the last two weeks of that term I missed due to taking leave… That being said, time for some reflection!

If you have read previous posts from this year you’ll know that I have been placed back in to a classroom for two day per week, teaching year 7 Core subjects. That means basically everything. Math, English, Science, Humanities, Wellbeing, Personal Learning, and other important tidbits. You would also know that I have LOVED being back in the thick of the action. Having a class of students to engage with on a more regular basis rather than just in passing from time to time has given me not so much a renewed passion, but increased it somewhat.

My role as College eLearning Coordinator does allow me to be spread, thinly may I add, but spread none the less across all classes from Prep right through to year 12 and everywhere in between. This makes building relationships with students and staff very easy as I can touch base with all subschools and those situated within as needed. A great part of my job.

In reflecting and being open and honest, throughout term 1 I have had this sense of having done things to a sub par standard. It’s a safe bet to say that I am not anywhere near happy with even ‘par’ as a standard. I ask my students each and every day to impress me beyond the norm of what they are capable of and my own expectations of myself should be the same.

My one aim was to not let my eLearning role interfere with teaching my class and I am fearful it has from time to time. In fact, each role has cancelled each other out in a way causing for one to be done haphazardly and  vice versa. Something I seriously need to both make amends for come term 2 when I return and something I need to get on top of to ensure both roles do not interfere with it’s counter part.

The identification of the problem, like always, is the easy part. The challenge comes from understanding not how to fix the problem but to delve deeper and ascertain why it happens in the first place. After considerable thought I am a little closer to the answer of this riddle yet more thought is needed. This i shall touch more upon no doubt in a blog post down the track!

I can say with certainty it has been brilliant to witness first hand just some of the work that my students have produced throughout the first term. From being involved in Digital Story Development and Creation to working on Genius Hour Projects to the work they produced daily. They continue to surprise me and surprise often and as I keep raising the bar they keep meeting it! In my next post i’ll be sure to share some of this amazing work!

Corrie

One Comment

1. Great honest reflection Corrie.
    It is often the forgotten element of being in a role of responsibility finding a balance between all the different roles. I had a moment last term when an AP came into my classroom – mid-lesson – and asked me to cover a teacher. So while I had a class full of students at the time, I sorted out coverage. My students then requested that I make sure that I get them really good CRTs when their teachers are away.
    Too often we are ‘measured’ on the titles that we keep. However, I think that true success is often found in those places which don’t get all the glory and sometimes scrutinised the most.