0

Apple ADE / ADS Catch Up

2 weeks ago I attended a wonderful Apple event that was being hosted by Apple for members of the Apple Distinguished Educator Community as well as educational settings that have received Apple Distinguished School certification.

I always look forward to attending such events hosted by Apple as the networking that these events involve is outstanding. Being surrounded by like minded educators all with an interest in Apple Technology, but more so technology integration in education, certainly causes for some great discussions to take place in what we are all doing within our own settings. A chance to discuss the highs, lows and the otherwise!

The highlight of this event was of course the invited speaker, Dan Gregory. Rather than try to justify Dan’s credentials myself, I best leave it to his own website bio to explain….

“Dan Gregory is a author, educator, and social commentator. He is the President and CEO of The Impossible Institute™, an innovation and engagement organisation founded to make what’s not… possible.

Dan’s specialization is human behaviour – our motives, drives and belief systems, the things that make us buy, the things that make us buy in and the things that pull our strings.

Dan has helped develop new product lines for Coca-Cola and Unilever, invented new media formats for Murdoch Magazines, created interaction systems for categories as diverse as fast food chains and government departments and launched internal and external engagement campaigns for companies as varied as Aussie Home Loans, the National Rugby League, News Ltd, Vodafone and MTV.

He has worked as a director and lecturer at Australia’s premier creative school, AWARD, taught post-graduate students at Macquarie and Sydney Universities as well as privately coaching and mentoring CEOs and non-executive board members.

Dan is a captivating speaker whose business acumen is matched by a rapier wit and rare human insight gained during a three year sabbatical working on the US and UK stand-up comedy circuits – skills put to great use in front of 1.4 million viewers as a regular on ABC TV’s The Gruen Transfer.

His goal is to turn Impossible Thinking™ into an epidemic.”

As mentioned above, Dan is a panelist for the ABC TV’s The Gruen Transfer and I have embedded a short You Tube Clip below that shows Dan in action!

As usual with a lot of my posts, which can quite easily turn in to short novels, I will aim to summarise of lot of Dan’s messages that he covered throughout his 3 hour presentation and workshop! Hopefully I can do what messages and thoughts that Dan discussed justice!

Below are just six messages that really resonated with me personally. I must add that i responded quite lengthy to each of these to only have the ‘save draft’ link fail and lose all i wrote!  I’ll plan to use the comments below as a driver for my next post!

1. Real leadership. Helping people to be what they want to be. Not telling people what to do. 
  2. Being famous for something. Break the mould. Be different. 
  3. Diversity and collaboration is about making a group smarter collectively. Not about playing nicely. 
  4. Achieve wins. Prove what you’re doing works! 
  5. Start a movement that people can participate in. Don’t sell an idea. Create change and let people participate. 
  6. Build trust as trust is currency. This creates and fosters change. 

To take these messages further, Dan engaged us with a number of small activities that aim to really provoke our thinking and drive discussion in our small groups. I personally found these quite challenging, which was great! These I plan on doing with my staff if the opportunity arises in the near future to hopefully prompt some of that innovate and creative thinking!

Jon Traversial

Zag

Meta5

The Noble Fight

There are things that I will take away from Dan’s session that will resonate with me for a quite a while I feel. Discussions, statements, and ideas that have… initiated me to do more to foster and drive change at my setting, no matter how difficult that proves to be. 😉

Corrie