0

P.L. Workshops!

Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 9.02.44 PM

This evening at my College we ran our first ever Professional Learning Workshops in replace of our more traditional staff meeting, and from what staff were saying afterwards, it was appeared to be a great success!

Staff were given the option to attend two half hour workshops, which were being presented by other staff who wanted to share their own knowledge in particular areas. We had workshops covering all major curriculum areas such as ICT, Numeracy, Literacy, PBS (Behaviour management) and Science just to name a few. Staff were asked to access a Google Doc in which they were to choose their preferences. This doc also told them what the PL Workshop was about as well as who was presenting.

On a personal level, I decided to share with staff one of the fantastic breakout sessions that i attended at Ulearn10 in Christchurch two months ago, the Apple sMACdown! All things, and several not, Apple related! I ran through with staff exactly what the presenters ran through at Ulearn and you yourself can see all of this excellent teaching and learning content here at the sMACdown site!

It was great to able to show my staff great tips and hints to use on their MacBooks and see them putting these in to action. Simple tricks such as zooming in on a screen (hold Ctrl+scroll up with two fingers) and taking selected screen shots of anything that is on the screen (Command+Shift+4) were great tools which were new to most staff! It is great to watch the thrill that adults get out of learning new things and doing them right away!

As the presenters at Ulearn were sharing their great hints and tips, those attending were also required to share their great tools and knowledge as well via Wallwisher, the sMACdown wall can be found HERE. Feel free to add to the site if you wish! The more teaching and learning ideas the better!

The second session that i attended was based on Web 2.0 tools. This session was ran by to colleagues, kate and Sam, who also went to, and presented at, Ulearn with me. Kate and Sam have created a Blog based on all things Web 2.0, titled Web20hyeah!

Kate and Sam took us through several great Web 2.0 tools which they are currently using within their class such as AMAP, Jog the Web, Wallwisher and Simple Diagrams.

If you have not ran a Professional Workshop session like this at your educational setting, i strongly encourage you to do so, or at least, push those who have control in doing so… in to doing so! It is an excellent way for staff to choose what professional learning suits their needs as a teacher.

I will certainly be keeping you all posted on how staff have further responded to these sessions in the coming days!

Thank for reading!

Corrie