0

Ultranet Mk I.

Screen shot 2010-05-31 at 1.49.22 PM

Mission: To have all year 7 and 8 students accessing the DEECD Ultranet by Friday. Day one of three completed. 4 classes down, 10 to go.

I must start by saying that the students that i took today for their first foray in to the world that is the Ultranet responded very well! Their first encounter with such a full on, hands on, lesson was well received. The Ultranet in itself has its complexities and after seeing the students respond as well as they did, has given me hope that it will all come to fruition in the coming weeks! The biggest thrill of today though, without a doubt, was the Ultranets fuctionality and the absolute minimal fuss that the online Learning Portal gave me, and the students.

Bar 4, all 90 odd students were able to access the Ultranet and its features and what was more impressive than this was that these features actually worked, and worked well.

The students responded very very well to what the Ultranet had to offer and seemed excited by the opportunities that were available to them via this portal. I think that comparing such a resource to ‘Facebook’ assisted this and in saying that, Ultranet and Facebook, do have very common similarities which the students enjoyed.

The biggest issue i had was having students access the IDAM (Identity & Access Management) for their first time login. The students’ usernames and passwords did not allow them to complete the process which was required. Hopefully i can sort out this issue in the coming days.

On the plus side, the students had a very successful time in adding applications to their spaces. iFrames, RSS Feeds, Notice Boards and Calendars just to name a few. The students began to update their Profile Pages as well as change the space layout and settings.

Overall, it was a successful day. It was amusing though that i had less trouble today working with 13 and 14 year olds on the Ultranet than i had running through the same sessions with the staff… twice! The Ultranet appears not to like adults!

If you are after more information about the DEECD Ultranet itself, head here! http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/directions/ultranet/default.htm

Cheers!

Corrie